- Some very helpful advice on how to approach reading intimidatingly old classics of theology and philosophy
- Are we exploiting church interns?
- Are sex offenders the modern lepers? The BBC reports on an extraordinary but vital ministry in an unusual Florida town
- The Six Types of Atheist from Andrew Brown
- Thabiti Anyabwile has some wisdom to bear on the thorny issue of those who say ‘the church hurt’ them
- My good friend Ziya Meral wrote this over 5 years ago – but it needs frequent revisiting: Bearing the Silence of God.
- John Crace at his hilariously trenchant best, reducing Steve Jones’ The Serpent’s Promise to 600 words.
- Culture, Class and the Decline of Marriage by Ross Douthat. Very helpful insights into the wider context of recent gay marriage debates on both sides of the Atlantic. While Brendan O’Neill sees the whole issue as a case study in conformism.
A brief plug before this outing. Someone asked how I keep track of various internet things. My secret is the wonder that is Pocket. People send me stuff or I see stuff on my RSS reader (NetNewsWire if you’re interested), and then I click pocket in the browser – and can then check them out off-line on my phone on trains and tubes etc. Simple really – so there you are.
- This is a wakeup call – a global rich list tied to an appeal to donate to the world’s poorest. Very simple, very effective.
- A more interesting conversation now that “Richard Dawkins has lost…”
- A brief but pastorally important response to suicide amongst believers.
He ate my toast and drank my beer. But that seemed sufficient to put him at his ease and get him talking (good cop routine). And it was a lot of fun. Charles Cumming has managed to craft a very successful career as a spy novelist out of the failure to enter SIS/MI6 after their initial approach. (more…)
Oooooops – this is seriously late!! Many apologies. Been rather a busy week and completely forgot to post this!
- Shhh!! Chris Green on introvert preachers and introvert lightbulb changers
- Eddie Arthur quotes the wonderful Oscar Muriu on the traps of western (though here, particularly American) missionaries in E. Africa.
- Is there a new US-style religious Right in the UK – Theos argues no
- Research shows that if you ‘survive’ first 10 years of marriage, you’re more likely to last the course as divorce rates for that stage haven’t shifted much
- This is a bit of a surprise for this particular blog: 10 reasons why Creationism should be taught in schools
Every blogger needs to feel the love. But it’s a dangerous pursuit. And sometimes, we need help to get over our hangups.